Garage Sale Finds: Uncanny Pringle's Can(dle)

Garage Sale Finds: Uncanny Pringles Can(dle)

Uncanny Finds: Pringle's Can(dle)


via Garage Sale Finds (garagesalin.blogspot.com)




I've mentioned this before, but we were a thrifty household when I was growing up and my parents weren't much into anything newfangled. "Newfangled" typically meant more money and if the old reliable met the need, newfangled need not apply.

So when a friend of mine brought Pringle's in his school lunch sometime around 1975, I was intrigued.  We were a "Sally So-Good" potato chip house.  These were locally-made, random-sized, greasy chips, some burnt, some with green edges (I swear I'm not kidding).  And here were identical chips stacked neatly in a baggy; perfect texture, clone-like consistency and no browning.  I could only stare in envy.


Introduced regionally by Proctor & Gamble in 1967, Pringle's Potato Chips went nationwide in 1975, around the time my friend was munching on them in the lunch room. Pringle's chips are actually a fried dough made from 42% dehydrated potatoes mixed with flours and oils formed into a hyperbolic paraboloid.   It wasn't long before other chip manufacturers were crying foul (a sure sign Pringle's was doing well) charging Pringle's Chips weren't in fact "chips" in the true sense.  The U.S. Food & Drug Administration agreed and that's the reason today's cans say "Pringle's Crisps".



The can sports the original Proctor & Gamble logo which was eventually changed due to the public's belief the symbol was satanic.

The inside of the can has the original ribbed liner and therein lies the reason why I was finally able to try Pringle's about a year after I first saw them.  


In third grade, my art teacher wanted us to create a Christmas candle to give to our mothers.  The materials needed required the purchase of a can of Pringle's.  Our teacher's design was to use an empty Pringle's can with the liner, fill with red-colored wax and tie a wick to a pencil and hang from the top.  This created a fairly substantial fluted candle that fit perfectly in one of those bulky 1970's wooden candle holders.  Mine went on the family console stereo and was drug out at Christmas for years afterward.  I don't believe it was ever lit.

SOURCE: http://ift.tt/1ON5mKE

No comments:

Post a Comment